Thursday 29 November 2012

Another successful party!

The lovely Sherry Secker has written this blog about her very successful Cake Time Party in Claygate.  I'm sure it will inspire many to consider hosting a party.  Thank you Sherry for your enthusiasm, energy and hard work!

Thanks so much for asking me to post on your Cake Time blog about our Cake Time event, although truth be told, it nearly didn't happen! I'd been emailing my editor friend at Essential Esher about putting the article in her magazine which has a reach throughout Claygate and Esher, and hadn't heard back from her and was beginning to think "actually, maybe we won't do it", when I heard the post arrive and it was the Essential Esher with a fantastic spread about the Cake Time event. That was it - I was confirmed!

My husband, William's godfather, encouraged me to get on with it and with a few brilliant sparks from him, I was off!! Vistaprint kindly offered to print 1,000 invites for me at a very good rate, how could I refuse - we were going BIG!

The aim of the day was going to be more of a family fun day where we could appreciate time together as families, but also help make time for Harrison. As the word spread, the generosity of people was overwhelming. People were offering cakes and help, left, right and centre and the day would not have been even half as successful without them. I really felt like the community came together so beautifully and were really touched by Harrison's story and of course the bravery of Alex and Donna (Harrison's mum and dad).



I hoped to raise £500, but through the generosity of everyone who came along, raised £700! I was so nervous on the day, not knowing how many to expect, so as people started rolling in, I was so pleased and relieved!! I loved organising it and will definitely organise one again next year! My biggest laugh, having my husband and 2 friends on face painting duties! My biggest fear, the outcome of three 4 year olds bidding on a box of cup cakes which eventually sold for £15! There were two very unhappy children!

A brilliant day, and we are looking forward to organising the next one (not over half term though please!!). For now, however, we're onto the next big fundraiser for Harrison - recycling!! Yes - your old toothpaste tubes, tooth brushes and baby food pouches are worth money to Harrison's Fund - and it won't even cost you a penny! See our Facebook page (
http://www.facebook.com/RecyclingForHarrisonsFund) for more details or email me at recycleforharrison@gmail.com. And while we're at it, collecting empty baby wet wipe packets for Ellie's Fund too (http://www.facebook.com/elliesfundbabywipecollection) - because we're friendly like that and it helps save the planet ;-) !


See you next year!
Sherry
x

We're loving the recycling project, so come on get involved, help save the planet and Duchenne boys  maketime.........

No comments:

Post a Comment